Call me crazy, but I generally love car time with my girls. It’s a chance to chat and connect and hear about their day especially when I pick them up after their morning of preschool. Often times though, I’m met with silence and tired brains that have been learning and playing hard and as my oldest sometimes says “I just don’t wanna talk about it right now.”
I strive to keep the conversation going though, admittedly so they won’t fall asleep in our five minute drive home, but also so I can learn and encourage and know what’s brewing in their little hearts. I also love to use questions to help them to start thinking about their day and how we are all “on Mission”. I generally ask a question and then we all take turns answering, even the two year old – which is often comical! We usually don’t get more than a couple questions in at a time and that’s okay. My goal isn’t to work through a whole list of questions, it’s to provide a safe place where my girls feel like they can chat and share and open up their hearts. I believe it’s also crucial and more beneficial to ask questions that can’t be easily answered with a yes or a no, but ones they have to give details with. This usually Spurs on deeper conversation.
Here are some great conversation starters centered around leading our little ones to see their lives as “being on Mission”:
- What did you love about today?
- What did you not love?
- What would you do different about today if you could?
- How were you able to serve others today?
- How did you serve your teacher and bring her honor?
- Were you kind and loving in all you did today? With all your friends?
- Was there anyone who was “left out” or maybe alone today?
- Were you left out today or maybe felt alone? How did that make you feel?
- Did you see a special “need” in your class today that maybe you could help with?
- Were you able to share with a friend today?
- If you could help or serve anyone today, who would you want to help? Why?
- What’s the name of a new friend that you played with today?
- Who did you have an opportunity to share Your bible story or scripture verse with today?
- Is there anyone or anything you would like to pray for today? (And then we pray for that!)
Let’s be mamas that reclaim the car time and the dinner table time and make sure that it’s a space where our children are chatting and connecting as a family, which starts especially as little ones!
And on those few days when they “just don’t wanna talk about it,” we crank up the silly songs and sing our way home!
What conversation questions do you use with your kiddos to get them talking? Do you listen and share too?